
The 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics Games have begun!!! I love the Olympics. Probably because I grew up in a household where my Mom was always obsessed (yes, Mom, I said obsessed!) with the Olympics. She literally watches every moment she can. And now that my Mom is retired and the games are on multiple channels, showing over 3,000 hours of competition, I joked that she would be watching the Olympics 18 hours a day (she's got to sleep a little!). Although it was a joke, it probably wasn't far off! So I grew up loving the Olympics. Loving the stories of the people and their struggles to get there. Watching the unknown underdog somehow win the gold medal. It's emotional and exciting.
I don't Matt quite comprehended how important the Olympics are to me (although he's learning quickly!) Last night he asked me to check what was one Pay Per View movies... I asked why... the Olympics started in 15 minutes! I said, in fact we won't be watching any movies for the next 16 days becaue I'll be watching the Olympics every night. His response... guess I'll be putting in a lot of hours (on his video game). It was funny... I don't watch every sport or every hour possible, but the primetime Olympics shown are generally the best events you want to watch anyway, so of course I'm not going to miss that!!!
The Opening Ceremonies last night lived up to the hype. It was really incredible. It amazed me that just one man came up with all the concepts, choreography and ideas for this event. Between using a giant LCD screen built into the floor, 2,000 tai chi artists forming perfect rings around the center of the floor, moving blocks that moved in such precision that I was shocked to learn they were being moved by people and not a computer, and the lighting of the flame, it hard to pick a favorite moment. It really did meet expectations. This video shows some highlights of the games in pictures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdQlaQpOuU
During the next 2 weeks I'm sure I'll be writing more about the people, the stories and the wins. I hope you take some time to watch the Games. It always amazes me how we seem to be able to put aside differences for these Games and just become people trying their best.
I don't Matt quite comprehended how important the Olympics are to me (although he's learning quickly!) Last night he asked me to check what was one Pay Per View movies... I asked why... the Olympics started in 15 minutes! I said, in fact we won't be watching any movies for the next 16 days becaue I'll be watching the Olympics every night. His response... guess I'll be putting in a lot of hours (on his video game). It was funny... I don't watch every sport or every hour possible, but the primetime Olympics shown are generally the best events you want to watch anyway, so of course I'm not going to miss that!!!
The Opening Ceremonies last night lived up to the hype. It was really incredible. It amazed me that just one man came up with all the concepts, choreography and ideas for this event. Between using a giant LCD screen built into the floor, 2,000 tai chi artists forming perfect rings around the center of the floor, moving blocks that moved in such precision that I was shocked to learn they were being moved by people and not a computer, and the lighting of the flame, it hard to pick a favorite moment. It really did meet expectations. This video shows some highlights of the games in pictures: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JdQlaQpOuU
During the next 2 weeks I'm sure I'll be writing more about the people, the stories and the wins. I hope you take some time to watch the Games. It always amazes me how we seem to be able to put aside differences for these Games and just become people trying their best.

No comments:
Post a Comment