Tuesday, August 5, 2008

And the winner is...


So one of the two reality shows I've been addicted to this summer is Nashville Star (the other is So You Think You Can Dance - more on that one in another blog later this week). If you know me, you know I'm a big country music fan. I haven't watched the other seasons of this show, but since nothing new is on during the summer, I decided to give it a try. I really got into it, and although I never voted, I still got upset when America made the wrong decision and voted off a great act and kept on another one (Coffey and the younger duo act) that should have gone home weeks earlier!!!

Last night was the final show... I admit I didn't watch most of it because at this point, seeing more performances wasn't going to change the outcome and my one gripe about most reality shows is all the "filler" stuff they use to create an hour show that could have been shown in 10 minutes. America did get it right in selecting the final 2 as Gabe and Melissa.

Gabe has been portrayed as the "Latino cowboy". I understand that it's important his heritage is brought up, especially since there are very few (or any?) successful Latino country singers. But I felt they (especially Jon Rich - one of the judges) really over played that point. It's like that's all he was. I just thought he was a great country singer who has the presence of a George Straight on the stage. He even seem to have some of his mannerisms.

Melissa has been "the voice" of this season. She's also a mother of 5 boys (my worst nightmare!!) and has recently lost 70 lbs!!! She's a power-house often being compared to Martina McBride, Faith Hill or Wynonna (all huge compliments!) I don't think she improved over the course of the show as much as the others, but that's only because she was at such a high level to begin with. There wasn't much room for improvement.

So without further ado... the winner is... Melissa!!!
I was actually really happy she won. I honestly would have been happy with either Gabe or Melissa, but I just thought she was so amazing from the beginning. I'm not worried about Gabe... he's going to have a successful country career and I can't wait to hear both of them on the radio!



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and your reality shows...some things never change! :) Can't wait to hear her songs...I just LOVE Miranda Lambert!!

Flowergirl said...

If the reality show is not Bachelor, Project Runway, or Top Chef, I ain't watching it!!!

Mindy said...

I also am addicted to SYTYCD. I like Joshua and Katee. We'll find out tomorrow night who wins. What am I going to watch next week?