Sunday, February 15, 2009

WE ARE ENGAGED!!!

This weekend Matt and I were engaged!!! Matt did such an amazing job planning our weekend in New York City (one of my most favorite places in the world!!)

Saturday morning he mentioned he had some ideas for plans on that Valentine's Day and when I asked, he just suggested I get ready... and then later said that I should probably pack something for overnight. I was hoping that Matt would be proposing this weekend, and hearing this I knew it would! But he still wouldn't give me any details, which made it kinda fun! We ended up at the train station in New Haven headed for NYC!

Once in NY, we walked to our hotel and along the way, he would stop (in Grand Central and the middle of Times Square) and say "wouldn't this be a great spot for an engagment!" We both knew it was going to happen, but he wanted to keep me guessing. Once checked into the hotel, we walked down to Central Park. It was a beautiful day... cool, but not a cloud in the sky, sunny and gorgeous! We ended up at the horse drawn carriages and I got to take my first ride. It was something that I'd always wanted to do, and had mentioned it to Matt a long time ago, so I was so thrilled he remembered. The ride was nice, although we were greeted by Carriage protesters (who believe it's cruel to the horses) and when Matt mentioned it to our driver, he went off for several minutes about how much he disagreed. But other than that, the ride was beautiful and I loved it!
Next we walked around the Park and watched some ice skating at the rink. Walking away from the rink, we heard a man playing the saxophone. And he just happen to be playing Matt's most favorite Ella Fitzgerald song, "Lullaby of Birdland" which is not a common song. We couldn't believe it!!! It was so amazing that just as we were walking up, he happen to be playing that song... it was fate!!!
Then we were off to a place I did not expect... we've been talking about checking this place out since hearing about it, but I didn't not expect to be there on Valentine's Day! We were at Gray's Papaya... a famous hot dog place. We had a couple of dogs with our banana and papaya drinks and we were off again. Walking just several blocks we were at the Empire State Building. Thankfully he bought this "express pass" tickets which allowed us to bypass all of the lines... saving us about 1 1/2 hours of waiting! It was GREAT and I'm so glad he did it! The views from the top were incredible since it was such a clear night. We saw the Chrysler building, the Statue of Liberty, the Hudson River where the plane had just landed and Times Square. It was incredible. And again he says, "wouldn't this be a great spot for a proposal" to which I finally said "you don't talk about it, you just do it". It would have been a great spot, but the longer we were up there the more I was happy he didn't do it there. There were tons of people and I was afraid I might not hear him.
Then we took a cab to the Waldorf Astoria where we had an incredible dinner. We eat had steak which were the best we've ever had. Thankfully we were in a smaller, quieter room since Matt had decided this was the place for the proposal. I had gotten up from the table and when I returned, our waiter broguht over a plate with a red rose, the ring box and 2 glasses of champagne. As soon as I saw the ring box, the tears started and I totally lost it! I knew it was coming, but still was so overwhelmed about the actual moment. He got down on one knee and proposed. I finally got a "yes" out and got a chance to see my ring. It was beautiful, but my eyes were brimming with tears so I could barely see it! Which caused a moment of laughter when I said, "I can't see the ring" and he says "It's not that small" and then I had to explain the tears where blocking my sight!! It was cute! I was told later that there was clapping from people around us, but I don't remember! It was an amazing moment, and I'll never forget it!After an amazing day, we ended up at Rockefeller Center and watching the ice skaters. Finally my feet were giving out and we headed back to the hotel and started making phone calls to friends and family.

It was a day I'll never forget and I'm so happy that Matt was able to make it such a memorable occassion. I can't wait to tell our kids about it someday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So excited for you guys! I can't wait to see it in person...and to see you too, of course! CONGRATS!