Sunday, December 21, 2008

Rockefeller Center

Matt and I went into NYC yesterday to see the tree at Rockefeller Center. I've never seen it in person, so I was so excited. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't ideal, but that wasn't stopping me. We had received about 6-8 inches of snow on Friday, so we decided to take the train into the City so we wouldn't have to drive on the slick roads. It was also my first time taking the train here and I really enjoyed it.

We almost didn't make it though.... Matt was on call this weekend and generally that doesn't stop us from our plans. He often can take care of any page over the phone, but this time he call paged as we were driving to the train station and it was a consult, which means he has to go in to see a patient. So we went to the hospital and I hung out as he saw the patient. Unfortunately, this woman is extremely sick and Matt thinks she probably won't survive (she's got multi-organ failure), but the Doctor's were throwing out a "hail mary" as Matt put it, and trying to figure out anything they could to help her, so Matt was called in.
Anyway, eventually we got to go, so we were off to the train station. The ride down was great, and thankfully we were getting on in New Haven, because by the third or fourth stop, the train was standing room only. When we arrived in NYC, it was COLD! They were only expecting a high of about 28 degrees that day, but there was a wind that froze our faces! We were pretty warm otherwise, but I was afraid my face would crack... until it finally went numb! We walked over to Rockefeller Center and when we turned the corner, we saw the Tree... it's even more beautiful in person and worth facing the weather to see.
So then we decided to walk around the City. We went over to St. Patrick's Cathedral and walked inside. I had seen the cathedral before, but have never been inside. It's beautiful and very impressive. I couldn't only imagine walking down the aisle to get married in that place... very indimidating!
Then we walked down 5th Avenue to check out all the "fancy stores". We can't even afford to walk inside most of them! It was seriously crowded... I overheard someone say that this is the busiest weekend of the year in NYC, and I would agree! But it was beautiful with lights on the buildings and the amazing window displays. We ended up going to a sushi place Matt knows in the Upper East Side and then headed back down to Rockefeller Center so I could see the tree at night and "in all it's glory". It's even more stunning at night...

To end our great day, it began to lightly snow as we stood watching the tree. When a perfect end to a great day!

1 comment:

Flowergirl said...

I had chills looking at your pictures because they are SO beautiful and such great shots of you and Matt. You are so lucky to get this experience - popping in and out of NY! I'm glad you survived the chilly weather!